50th Birthday

I recently turned 50 and decided I needed to celebrate this milestone with Family and Friends. We planned to celebrate with a good old country 'twiggy' and have the birthday feast catered for with a spit roast and vegie meal.


My Birthday quickly turned into an almost week-long event. My actual birthday was celebrated with just my immediate family. Then visitors arrived on the Friday night and stayed through until Monday night, camping out in our backyard and paddocks. With a bit of planning and preparation the occasion went off without a hitch and without the need for me to do much else but enjoy myself.










During the month before my party I prepared by doing extra baking and putting it in the freezer.  I pre-made meals of pizza, sausage rolls and lasagne to feed the visitors. Each time I did some baking I would make an extra cake, slice or rumballs and freeze them also. I also squeezed orange juice and stored it in the fridge ready for breakfasts.


All it took on the weekend was to take the meal or slice out of the freezer, defrost it and heat and/or eat.

The spit roast meal was catered for by a local company. We enjoyed roast pork (with crackling, Yummo), beef and vegies with gravy.

Birthday cakes were made (by a good friend), twiggy was lit and the party started. The rainy weather we'd had on the Friday night held off and we were kept toasty warm by the bonfire.

Being a quilter I asked friends and family to gift me a fat quarter of fabric (this resulted in a lot of phone calls and strange questions from my non-quilting friends).  I am going to make myself a memory bookcase quilt with all the fabric I received.  I also had the guests sign a piece of calico which I can attach to the back of the quilt.

I am relishing turning 50 and I am looking forward to the next season of my life.

Ann
©



8 comments

  1. Happy 50th Birthday Ann.
    Wow, what a fantastic weekend and one you'll always remember. Sounds like you are surrounded by an amazing group of people.
    Just love that photo of you and I'm guessing your daughter.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have a wonderful network of friends and family and was genuinely pleased at how many came to help me celebrate.
      Yes that is my daughter and we decided that if I was going to be a queen on my birthday that she would be a princess.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday. Your cake looked amazing. So glad you were able to celebrate it with family and friends. I love being in my fifties so welcome to this wonderful decade of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane,
      I don't know what has changed in me, but I've found that as soon as I recognised I was going to be 50 I became more relaxed with life.

      Delete
  3. Happy 50th Ann! It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration. And I love the idea for your quilt, it will hold so many special memories. I also think it's great you are relishing turning 50, onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda, I am relishing being 50, exciting times ahead

      Delete
  4. A twiggy sounds a fantastic way to celebrate turning 50! And what a great idea for friends to give you fabrics for the quilting you love. That will be a very special quilt that you make. Happy birthday to you! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg, for my 40th I had everyone create a scrapbook page for an album and I thought fabric would be a great idea so I can make a memory quilt for my 50th. I am eager to get going on it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to contact me. I enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas.