We have Chickens

We have Chickens!!

Further to my post in August we are very excited to announce we have chickens.

I don't know who is more excited me or my daughter.

Our wonderful little broody hen, who has been dubbed "clucky", hatched 7 little chickens while we were away for the weekend.  When I got home on the Sunday I went to feed the chooks and found 2 empty shells in her nesting box.

The brown chicken has been dubbed "Browny". 














On Monday morning we checked and there were definitely little fluffy chickens underneath her.  By Monday afternoon she was down on the ground protecting 1 little chicken who had fallen out of the nesting box, so I carefully lifted out the other 6 chickens and put them with her.  She quickly scooped them underneath her and gave me a few pecks for my trouble.

The runt of the litter (far left) is now called "Grunty". 
We have (hopefully) put up enough protection around the chook yard to keep the little darlings in their yard and away from the other chooks. The chickens are enjoying the chickfeed and other vegetable scraps and learning off their mother.

We are still to name the other 5 chickens, but don't fret, the names will be forthcoming as their personalities develop.

Mother and chickens are doing well.

Enjoy

Ann
©

8 comments

  1. Those little chicks are so very cute. What a thrill for you and mother hen! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we can't wait to see what they grow up to be (hopefully hens).

      Delete
  2. Oh Ann they are just adorable. I look forward to following their progress. Your daughter would be just so taken with them.
    I can't wait to show my daughter once she gets up.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie, it is hard not to spend all day sitting, looking at them.

      Delete
  3. So so beautiful Ann. Looking forward to watching them grow- I wonder how many hens you will end up with, not too many roosters I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda, it is a joy to sit and watch them learning from their mother. We hope there aren't too many roosters.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos of your chicks. We are getting some hens soon but will leave the roosters for now. Really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you will love having hens. They are a joy to talk to and get to know.

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to contact me. I enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas.